Tuesday, January 1, 2008

My New Year's Nonresolution

Happy New Year!

The first day of January 2008 will soon draw to a close, marking the end of yet another holiday season and the beginning of a fresh, new year. After the hustle-bustle of the past week, it is with some relief that I anticipate the return of our regular routine tomorrow morning. I am especially looking forward to the silence that will fall over the house after everyone leaves for work. I'll have the house to myself for about two hours before I, too, must head out the door.

Christmas is all about family and there was no shortage of that this year! After visiting with my mom's relatives Christmas Eve, twenty-seven of us gathered at my sister's house Christmas Day, where Auburn Mist was a big hit.















As the snow fell outside, we visited and exchanged presents and oohed and aahed over the latest additon to the family, my great-niece, Lauren. I received several knitting-related gifts, which I will share in a future post.















Family continued to be the dominant theme for the remainder of the week. My parents hosted brunch for nineteen at our house on the 27th, then just as they were leaving the following morning, my mother-in-law arrived to stay with us for a few days. We were joined by my sister-in-law last night for a quiet New Year's Eve celebration. She was wearing Mr. Greenjean's, which fit her perfectly. And no, I didn't remember to take a picture! This morning we took my mother-in-law to her sister's place in Vancouver, which brought our hosting duties to an end. Although I enjoyed all of the family visits, I must admit that I like the feeling of having the house to ourselves once again.

Now that the holidays are over, I also looking ahead to a new year of knitting projects. As you can see from my sidebar, I am making 2008 my Year of Lace. Even before discovering Make One Yarn Studio's lace club, I had already decided to devote a good part of this year to knitting shawls, inspired by the designs in A Gathering of Lace and Victorian Lace Today, not to mention the numerous patterns in magazines and on the internet. I can't wait for my surprise shipments to arrive! I have also decided to try my hand at colourwork and am planning to knit Veronik Avery's "Graphic Hoodie" from Knitting Classic Style. And, of course, I will continue to knit socks, as I almost always have at least one pair on the go at all times.

Most importantly, as much as I don't generally subscribe to the whole notion of making New Year's resolutions (since they too often seem self-defeating), I have decided to go on a yarn diet and knit mainly from my stash this coming year. I'm not going to make any hard and fast rules (which will inevitably lead to failure), I'm just going to try to resist the temptation of buying a lot of new yarn and concentrate instead on the many wonderful projects I already have that are just waiting to be knit. My recent acquisitions (including two skeins that have not yet arrived) should help ease the transition, while the periodic shipments from the lace club will give me something to look forward to throughout the year.

Meanwhile, I am going to enjoy this last evening of holidays by curling up with a new book and a hot cup of tea before heading to bed. I need my rest--I have a lot of knitting to do, starting tomorrow!

No comments: