Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Catching Up

Sometimes real life kicks in and blogging falls by the wayside. This has been one of those weeks. However, despite dealing with a family crisis, I have been able to get a surprising amount of knitting done, and in some cases, undone...

Case in point: the M-I-L socks. I gave the Flow Motion Socks an honest go but they just weren't working. Despite experimenting with various needle sizes and reworking the ankle increases and heel flap several times, I was unable to come up with a way to make the foot narrow enough, without the making the ankle and heel area too tight. In the end I frogged the sock and went looking for a new pattern, this time a top-down.

I finally decided on "Unst" from Knitting on the Road and am working the cuff pattern throughout, in which the "columns" and "arches" are separated by a purl stitch. I figured the ribbing would make for a snugger fit.

(Question to self: Is "snugger" a word?)

I continue to have issues with toe-up socks. I knit Monet as planned, with a plain foot and a short row heel, then began the leg in 1x1 rib.

But even though I am only about 4" away from finishing the first sock, I am going to rip it all back and begin again with a top-down, now that I know I will have enough yarn for at least a 6" leg. I know there are many practical reasons for knitting socks toe-up but I have yet to knit a pair that fits me properly. And I just plain old don't enjoy knitting them, and isn't that the point?

With all the knitting and unknitting going on, I'm happy to report that I did actually complete an entire sock this week, this one for Cameron.

It is a plain top-down sock with a heel flap made from SRK On Your Toes DK Boot Sock Yarn in shade ON240724.

I have also managed to knit a fair bit of my cabled sweater. I finished the cable band without too much difficulty and joined the two ends with a 3-needle bind off (I had begun the band with a provisional cast on). I picked up the stitches along one side and knit the entire top yoke. Finding the turtleneck a bit too high, I ripped back the last cable repeat and have put the live stitches on a strand of waste yarn until the sweater is complete. Then I'll decide if I want to leave the neck as it is or make it even shorter. I then picked up the stitches on the bottom of the cable band (for some reason this process went much more smoothly than for the top) and worked in stocking stitch, dividing for the sleeves and body when instructed. I have just begun the cabling on the bottom of the sweater and once that's finished I will pick up the sleeves and knit them.

I've been a wee bit frustrated with this pattern. I am all about symmetry but apparently Patons is not, so I have had to make adjustments to ensure that the yoke and body cables are distributed as pleasingly as possible. Patons is also apparently not up on their math, since 2" + (5 x 1.5") = 9.5", not 8.5" as they would have you believe. I couldn't figure out why my body measured a good inch longer than it was supposed to after I worked the waist decreases, until I realized that their instructions and schematic were incorrect. But after a bit of frogging and figuring and fiddling I am back on track and hope to have this sweater finished in time for next weekend, when we head to my parents' for a little outdoor winter fun. I thought about including a photo of my progress but right now the sweater doesn't look like much. However, I did transfer the stitches to some spare yarn and try it on and it looks like it will fit perfectly.

Finally, a look at the last of my Christmas purchases.

Kind of ironic that I should choose this clock at the very time I decided to go on a yarn diet but I do agree with the sentiment. After all, it could be interpreted as "Time for more yarn...from your stash". Right?

No comments: