Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Colour My World

I had a lot of fun yesterday afternoon experimenting with stranded knitting. I sat down with several resource books, including The Art of Fair Isle Knitting and The Best of Interweave Knits, and tried out the various methods of knitting with two strands of yarn. At first they all felt awkward but in the end I decided that I was most comfortable holding one strand in each hand, picking with my left hand and throwing with my right. Once that was established I ripped out my original swatch and knit a new one using this method so I could see if I was getting the proper gauge for the Graphic Hoodie. I think it looks rather nice!


In the end I decided to go with a smaller needle and I eagerly cast on for the real thing. Here's what I've accomplished since last night:


Now that the ribbing and border are complete, I have to work in "lice pattern" (lovely name) to the armholes. I am finding this a very addictive knit and am enjoying the rhythm of switching back and forth between two colours.

The weather continues to inspire me. After experiencing snow showers off and on all day, the forecast is for an additional 15-20 cm (6"-8") of accumulation over the next 24 hours. Yikes! Although it's back to work tomorrow, I look forward to a cozy evening spent knitting and enjoying the winter weather.

No comments: