Thursday, May 8, 2008

Needles on Fire

Despite the lack of photographic evidence (there is just no way to take a good picture of a lace shawl in progress) let me assure you that I am burning my way through "Phoenix Rising", the first installment in the Year of Lace club. I have now completed the main pattern and begun the border. Yesterday I finished the 14-row set up and must knit three more 16-row repeats before moving on to the beaded edging. Some knitters have run out of yarn so I thought it in my best interest to finish the shawl while more yarn is still available. Like some other YOL knitters I have experienced a couple of problems with the yarn, namely knots (I've had three so far) and crocking (colour transfer) but find these minor irritations. The dye washes off my hands easily (except for around the cuticle of my pointer finger, the one I use to throw with) and I am confident from what I have read that the colour loss will cease after the shawl is given a good soak. As for knots...well, maybe three (so far) is more than you should expect to find in an expensive skein of hand-dyed silk but I don't think it's worth getting too upset over. As much as I don't enjoy joining laceweight yarn, I figure if I was working with smaller skeins I'd have to join them anyway. From all accounts Amy and the team at Make One are doing their best to deal with these unexpected problems. I feel bad for them, especially since this is the inaugural project.

With the Rivendell socks out of the way I decided to join in the May Sockdown on Ravelry. This morning I put the finishing touches on the first of a pair of Violets Rising by Anne Hanson.

The yarn is some beautiful purple, green, and yellow Koigu I bought at the Frolic (the colours change depending on the light and in the photo look more golden). Other than wishing the legs were a bit longer I am happy with how the sock turned out. The pattern is not difficult but definitely requires concentration. Every row of the 24-row repeat has yarnovers and decreases and the centre and side patterns have different repeats. Unlike my experience with other lace patterns I found it hard to get a rhythm going or anticipate the next stitch sequence.

We've had a bit of sunny weather this past week but are still waiting for a full-fledged spring. Regardless of the lack of Mother Nature's cooperation I am going ahead with some spring cleaning and am attacking my office/sewing room first. My approach to this overwhelming task is to do a little at a time, in between knitting stints. It's amazing (and humbling) to see what has accumulated since the last time it was done but I look forward to having a more orderly place to hang out.

Since spring is the time of new beginnings it also seems fitting (pardon the pun) to get myself back into shape. I inevitably put on a few extra pounds over the winter and then have to consciously work on losing them over the spring and summer. Over the past few days I have been eating much more healthily and intend to continue this trend, in addition to working more exercise into my routine. In most aspects of my life I am an all-or-nothing girl and my health is no exception. Either I eat right and exercise or I don't. No middle ground. One of these days I'd like to find a balance but for now it's back to the grindstone. Which reminds me, I have an office to clean...

No comments: