Thursday, May 29, 2008

It's Done!

Phoenix Rising is off the needles!

While I was away the extra yarn from Make One arrived so on Tuesday afternoon I threaded 280+ beads onto the new skein and proceeded to work on the edging. After a couple of setbacks (you didn't seriously think I'd finish this project without making at least one more mistake, did you?) I finished the last row about suppertime last night but had to wait until today to do the cast off since we had a ball game to attend (second win in a row--and sadly just our second win this season). I think it is very beautiful.

I will soak it overnight then block it tomorrow. Normally I would only soak a shawl for an hour or so before blocking but there have been some issues with dye residue so an overnight blocking has been recommended by the folks at Make One. Stay tuned for photos.

With the shawl completed it's time to turn my attention to other projects. After wasting (ahem, spending) numerous hours this morning drooling over several patterns for which I would be required to buy more yarn I gave myself a stern talking-to and turned to my stash and UFO's. To feed my lace addiction before the second Year of Lace shipment arrives at the end of June I will continue to work on Muir and maybe even make some progress on a Shoalwater Shawl that has been in hibernation since last summer. Knit in turquoise laceweight, Jessica has been nagging me to finish it. I realized that a new Sockdown would be starting in a couple of days but found that this month's choices--a design by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts or "design your own"--don't really appeal to me so I have decided to cast on another pair of socks for May (to qualify, socks must be cast on in May and completed by the last day of June). This time I am going to knit Brigit by the late Gigi Silva, aka Monkey Toes in KnitPicks' Gloss in Dusk, a denim blue. Finally, here is the latest photo of my Noro socks:

Uh, huh. Frogged. Now, before you condemn me for being too picky, I must defend myself and state that I had already decided to leave the colours as they were when I realized that the foot was much tighter than the leg--too tight, even for me. That's the part I knit in the car on the way home and for some reason my tension was obviously way different. Since I had to rip it back to the heel anyway, I decided I might as well go all the way. When I rewound it I divided it into two skeins, beginning and ending with the same colour sequences, something I probably should have done in the first place. While I was doing so, I decided that the colours would really suit my sister-in-law so have decided to make her a pair of socks for her birthday in July. And to make sure I have enough yarn (she has long, wide feet) I am going to (gasp) knit them from the toe up. I haven't chosen a pattern yet but will likely do more than just a plain sock this time around.

After wearing capris and bare feet for several days I have been forced back into jeans and a hoodie. Happily, the clematis looks just as nice under overcast skies.

No comments: