Monday, December 3, 2007

Winter Wonderland

As predicted, the white stuff fell thick and fast yesterday, depositing 30cm (12") in about ten hours. This sort of accumulation--in fact, snow in general--is rare for this region of the great, white north, rare enough to be a novelty. While others grumbled about the impending snowstorm, I eagerly awaited the first flake, anticipating a cozy day indoors, knitting my little heart out.


I was not disappointed. As I watched the snow fall all day, I worked on my Christmas knitting, while sipping copious amounts of hot tea. By the end of the day I had accomplished this:















Most of the second sleeve of Mr. Greenjeans for my sister-in-law, Dilys.















About 3" of the second sock of a pair for my mom. I am now ready to do the heel.















Most of the first of a pair of felted clogs for my oldest son, Matt. I finished the cuff and second sole this morning before he got up.

And so, at the risk of sounding smug, I am happy to report that all that's left of my Christmas knitting is about 4" of sweater sleeve, the heel and foot of one sock, and one slipper. I assure you, I do not feel smug at all but instead relieved. Last year I took on way too many projects and presented my husband with a half-finished sweater and an I.O.U. on Christmas morning. This year I resolved it would be different, and thankfully, it will.

I don't mean to imply that I have no other deadline knitting. I am hoping to complete this in time to wear for Christmas:















It's Auburn Mist from Knitter's Summer 2007. Luckily, I have a 5" headstart and if I don't finish in time I will only disappoint myself.
















In true west coast fashion, it began to rain overnight and our winter wonderland has been transformed by the slush and drizzle. I feel another cozy knitting day coming on...

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Oh Mom! I *love* that sweater you are knitting for Dilys!

Thanks for linking the pattern...I think I feel another project coming on! LOL