Saturday, July 3, 2010

All is Revealed

On Wednesday people across Canada marched in parades, ate cake, and attended fireworks displays.  Even the queen turned out for the event.

3232489

What prompted this nationwide celebration?  Why, my parents’ 50th anniversary, of course! 

Okay, so the rest of the country was really celebrating Canada Day but we can pretend, right?

In actual fact, my parents weren’t interested in having a big party to mark their Golden Anniversary.  Last year when the subject came up we decided we would take a family vacation instead, for the first time since we were kids.  Since we’re all married now we decided the husbands could come too but no children!  After much discussion, we decided on an Alaskan cruise and we will be boarding the ship just a few hours from now.

Mom and Dad stayed over at my place last night and when they arrived I couldn’t wait to present them with their afghan. 

July 2010 

They seemed genuinely pleased with their gift and spent a while oohing and aahing over the various squares.  I pointed out what I thought of as “their” squares, a fish for Dad

Knitting 1567 

a breast cancer ribbon for Mom,

Knitting 969

and a church for the two of them.

Knitting 1545

They even declared that they would use it, not just put it where it could be admired but not touched—music to a knitter’s ear!

And like a good knitter I have scoped out the yarn shops in our ports of call and plan on picking up some Alaskan hand-dyed souvenirs along the way (I thought about some qiviut but $92 per oz is a little rich for my blood).  I’ll be sure to show them off when I return but for now I’d better go finish packing!

No comments: