Friday, July 23, 2010

Here Again, Gone Again

This month I am spending far more time away than I am at home.  First up was the Alaskan cruise, then after about a week at home (which included a visit from my mother-in-law and a ball tournament) came a mini roadtrip with my sister, Anna-Marie.  It has become an annual summer tradition for us to leave the husbands at home and spend a few days at the cabin with my parents. 

The day after we arrived we took a drive up the road so Anna-Marie could see the damage from the forest fire last summer.  Although I was once again saddened to see the utter devastation in some areas, it was encouraging to see green grass growing where last fall there had been only ash.

July 2010 027

The forest begins to heal…

July 2010 037

Thanks to some inclement weather I got a fair bit of knitting done, working a pattern repeat on my Bougainvillea socks

Knitting 1708

and casting on the latest ZenGoddess project, the Isis scarf.

Knitting 1710

When the weather cleared up I went fishing with my Dad.  In addition to admiring the beauty of the lake

July 2010 049

I managed to catch dinner.

July 2010 051

When I arrived home yesterday I eagerly downloaded the last clue for the SKA Mystery Sock by Chrissy Gardiner.  Tah dah!  One down, one to go.

Knitting 1706

This has been such a fun pair to work on and I will miss them when I am done.

I’m only home for a few days before leaving again on Monday, when Cameron and I begin a week’s holiday on Vancouver Island.  We’ll have a few nights on our own but will also spend some time visiting my mother-in-law and camping with my brother- and sister-in-law.  Once we return home life will kick into high gear for Cameron at work but with any luck will settle into a lazy summer routine for me, which will include lots of knitting.

Something that I am particularly looking forward to is the first pattern release in the Indie Socks CSK, a new venture by designer Chrissy Gardiner.  This has also turned out to be the year of the yarn club for me and this summer I will be receiving shipments from ZenGoddess, Sip ‘n Stitch, and 7 Wonders, in addition to taking part in SKA and the 50 Socks/50 States KAL on Ravelry.  Okay, maybe this summer won’t exactly be lazy but it should be relaxing.

Finally, a huge HAPPY BIRTHDAY is in order for my daughter, who turns 25 today.  Sorry, Jessica, you’ll just have to wait until Sunday to get your present.  I’ll share pics with the rest of you then.     

No comments: