Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Something to Sink My Teeth Into

The more experienced a knitter I become, the more I find myself drawn to projects with interesting, unconventional construction. I enjoy trying new techniques and am frequently in awe of a designer’s ability to “think outside the box”.

The featured designer for SKA’s October Sockdown is Stephanie van der Linden and I immediately knew which pattern I wanted to make: Grun ist die Hoffnung (roughly translated, Hope is Green). Instead of beginning at the cuff or toe, this sock is constructed around a motif on the instep.


First, the square motif is worked in the round, gradually increasing in size until the required number of stitches is achieved (see 1). Three of the four sides of the square are put on hold, then ten rows are knit back and forth along the live stitches (see 2); this forms a foundation for a short-row toe (see 3).

Here is a view from the back:

Once the toe has been worked, you continue to work back and forth to form the sole, knitting together the first and last stitch of each row of sole stitches with the edge stitches of the toe foundation and the stitches of two of the three remaining sides of the motif (see 4).

When the bottom of the motif is reached the sock is once more worked in the round, with the stitches from the remaining side of the motif forming the instep. The rest of the sock is worked in stocking stitch, in a conventional toe-up manner.

This pattern was initially confusing--it didn’t help that it was translated from its original German—but it soon began to make sense, thanks to some support and advice from fellow Sockdown mates. Once I grasped the concept the sock came together quickly. I made the leg considerably longer than instructed and substituted a picot edge for the ribbing. I think it compliments the lace motif.

With one sock down and the other more than half finished I am ready for my next challenge. There are some upcoming squares for the Great American Afghan that should fit the bill.

On another note, we held our fall birthday get-together on Sunday, as planned. I am happy to report that my knitted gifts went over very well. In addition to giving Alison the felted slippers, I also gave her the Cranberry Biscotti socks I knit last June, along with some Cranberry Chocolate Biscotti made from the recipe included with the pattern.

And to my great relief, Jeanine seemed genuinely pleased with her Swallowtail Shawl and said she couldn’t wait to wear it. Phew, I guess I worried for nothing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool and I love the cranberry biscotti socks. They are in my queue.