Thursday, August 14, 2008

Taking Time to Stitch

Not so long ago cross stitch was my primary hobby of choice. I have walls full of pictures and a bin full of new and partially finished projects to prove it. Although I’ve completed several large needlework projects over the past five years, it is knitting that has really taken centre stage in during this time.

Just before I set out on my “road trip” with my sisters last week I threw a small cross stitch project into my knitting bag on impulse. I knew that my sister, Anna-Marie, would probably bring her cross stitch to work on and thought I might work on mine alongside her. As it turned out, it never came out of the bag but a couple of days after I got home I pulled it out and finished up this sampler:

The entire thing is only 4”x4” and divided into little boxes, each featuring a unique design. A variety of stitches and the addition of beads and charms made for a fun and interesting project.
I finished its companion last year:

Well over a year ago I bought the supplies for another small sampler set, this time featuring the four seasons.

It only took me a couple of days to complete “Autumn” and I plan to stitch up “Winter”, “Spring”, and “Summer” over the next couple of weeks. (Note to self: Do not get distracted and put it away for another six months or more.) I’ve really enjoyed my return to cross stitching and have found it a pleasant adjunct to my knitting.

Speaking of knitting, it feels like all I’ve made lately is socks. (That’s probably because that’s practically all I have been knitting lately—go figure.) Besides working on a couple of plain pairs, I finished the Bluebell Rib Socks

and the first of the Basket Check Socks, both for July’s Sockdown.

Unfortunately, as much as I like how the Faceted Rib Socks are turning out, I have concluded that they are too small and will have to be frogged and reknit with more stitches.

I have to go out of town for a couple of days next week (most definitely not on holidays) but hope to settle down with a large project when I get back. I am aching to work on a sweater and would like to devote more time to my Berry shawl, so that it could be done by the time I receive the next Year of Lace shipment at the end of September. Meanwhile, I’ll continue to work on some small projects, to clear the way for fall knitting and a new year of Sockdown challenges.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the middle sampler. I used to cross stitch, but that was before I got into quilting, which was before I got into knitting. Don't you just love the progression of hobbies? Do you have any Stoney Creek cross stitch?

Knitsnpurls said...

Thank you. I think it's my favourite too. There is also a Take Time to Quilt pattern but since I don't quilt I opted not to make it. I used to sew a lot but hardly ever anymore, except to hem pants, mend, etc. You're right about the progression of hobbies but they tend to be related, don't they? I think the only Stony Creek I have is a series of seasonal bell pulls from the magazine--despite my best intentions all I've done so far is the "A" in Autumn!