Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Year of the Slipper

Unselfish knitting continues…

Last week I washed up a bunch of “handwash only” socks and noticed that Cameron had added a few pairs to the pile.  He usually wears white sports socks and reserves his handknit, woolen ones for really cold weather so I was surprised to see them, considering that he only pulled them out once the snow and bitter winds had disappeared and the rain and warmer temperatures had returned.  It got me thinking that maybe it was time to knit him another pair.  Why not make them for Christmas? 

I know, I know, I’m crazy to put more pressure on myself but Christmas ideas for him are hard to come by.  And I chose a simple,  easy-to-memorize stitch pattern, just interesting enough to keep me engaged.

Knitting 1971

They’re actually working up pretty quickly, considering that a) I haven’t had a ton of time for knitting lately and b) I can only work on them when he’s not around.

And just when I thought I was finished with slippers for a while a couple of things happened.  First, my sister, Alison, happened to mention that she was in need of some new ones.  I told her I had just knit four pairs and was slippered out but would knit her some in the new year and she was totally down with that.  Then my sister-in-law, Liz, gave Cameron her Christmas list and the second item on it was slippers. 

Now, to be fair, she did not ask specifically for felted slippers but she did mention that she had worn through the ones I’d made her a few years back so I knew that she liked and wore them.  Knowing I could knit a pair over the course of a couple of days, I determined her size and asked her what colour she’d like.  And while I was at it, I got Alison to pick out some yarn for hers and placed an order with Elann.com. 

Not only do they carry the suede soles from Fiber Trends, their Highland Wool is a good value and comes in lots of pretty colours.  I’d given it a test run with Ed’s slippers and it felted really nicely.  The best part is that I receive my shipments from them only two days after I place my order which means I didn’t have to fit in another shopping trip.  This arrived this morning, right on cue.

Knitting 1970

I never get tired of the sight of stacks of unknit skeins of yarn—I think it’s the possibility it implies.

I warned Alison that I still may not get to her slippers until after the holidays but I have a feeling that I will end up powering through them, just to get them off my plate.  That will make a total of six pairs this year, the most I’ve knit at one time since I first made the pattern four years ago.  Needless to say, they’re a hit.

I’m now attaching suede soles to every pair I make in the hopes that it will significantly extend its life.  With any luck it will be a good while before there is another “Year of the Slipper”.

No comments: