Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Three Cheers!

Hip! Hip! Hooray!

I can not express how happy I am to have finished these three pairs of socks.

"Brigit" started out well enough. I had admired several pairs knit for Ravelry's May Sockdown and decided to make some myself. Unfortunately, it wasn't long before I found the solid colour boring and the two-stitch cables tedious but I decided to persevere because I knew how nice the finished product would be. And I was determined to meet the challenge of knitting a second pair of socks for Sockdown.

From start to finish I have never really been happy with my Noro "Kureyon" socks. As you might remember, I initially started a pair of plain, top-down socks for myself but frogged them because of colour and gauge issues. I thought my sister-in-law might like the muted, earthy tones of the yarn so decided to make a pair for her instead. Because she has long, wide feet I was worried about having enough yarn to make a matched set so I decided that a toe-up sock was my safest bet. That way I wouldn't have to guess about how long to make the leg before shaping the heel. Althought technically-speaking the socks turned out fine and I had plenty of yarn to make the legs a decent length I really didn't enjoy knitting them very much. Although I feel proud to have finally knit a complete pair of toe-up socks after so many failed attempts I really don't see myself attempting another any time soon.

In all fairness, I mostly enjoyed knitting "Cranberry Biscotti". I love the colours and the slip stitch pattern and the yarn. However, about halfway through I started daydreaming about other sock projects and found myself dissatisfied with this one. In an effort to avoid the dreaded Second Sock Syndrome I made myself finish the three pairs I had on the go before beginning a new pair (ahem, pairs). Sadly, this took some of the joy out of knitting the second "Biscotti" because it started to feel like a chore. Now that the pair is done, though, I am pleased with how they turned out.

After putting myself through this hell I couldn't wait to get up this morning and cast on some new socks. While I was still half asleep I began a pair of plain socks in Regia Cotton, intended as a gift for my eldest sister. When I was more awake I cast on for "Spring Forward" in Oceanwind Knits Hand-Dyed Merino (colourway Tuscany) and managed to complete two pattern repeats.

So far, I love them.

Looking back, the past couple of weeks--especially the last couple of days--have been all about delayed gratification, about discipline, about payoff. All very character-building, I'm sure, but I'm glad to get back to just plain fun.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

The new sock look great, just enough pattern work to avoid the sock knitter blahs and not so bust as to frustrate. Can't wait to see the final results.