Thursday, November 10, 2011

Triumph and Tragedy

Triumph:  Despite suffering a major setback, after two months of tv-, car-, and social-knitting I finally finished the seemingly endless stockinette body of Abi at about 10:30 last night.  I was so excited by the prospect of adding the sleeves and beginning the cabled yoke that I decided to begin right then.  This may have been a lapse in judgment.

Tragedy:  The process did not turn out to be as simple as I first anticipated.  Recall that the pattern is written for flat construction and I am knitting it in the round.  Consider that to eliminate seams you must alter stitch counts and use different construction techniques.  Also take into account that I decided to attach the sleeves and increase for the yoke in the same row and you might have some idea of why I ran into trouble.

Triumph:  A couple of hours, a glass of wine, and several failed attempts later, I successfully attached the sleeves to the sweater and ended up with the right number of stitches.  Win, win.

Tragedy:  Even after a good night’s sleep, this morning it took three tries to get the cables placed around the yoke to my satisfaction.  I should have waited until after I’d had my first cup of tea.

Triumph:  The cables are evenly dispersed and strategically placed and the yoke is well on its way.  Abi may become a sweater yet.

Knitting 2410 

On a more somber note, tomorrow we celebrate Remembrance Day.  In addition to observing a minute of silence at 11:00 am, Canadians wear poppies to commemorate the memory of our fallen heroes.

Knitting 2412

Lest we forget.

No comments: