Thursday, January 8, 2009

Feeling Cronky

I began writing this post about how cranky (or cronky, as my grandma used to say) I was today. I described the scene in our backyard when I woke up this morning

and bemoaned the fact that I had to deal with a different sort of flood when the downstairs toilet clogged. I also grumbled a little about the long hours Cameron has been working, getting the new store ready for opening on Monday.

Then my sister called to see how we were making out on the valley floor. On her drive home from work she had heard reports of local mudslides and flooding and told me that city hall had declared a state of emergency. From her vantage point on the hillside she could see extensive flooding in fields and yards. We've had a lot of rain these past few days but I didn't know things were that bad.

I turned on the 5:00 news and saw pictures of flooded homes and heard the story of one young girl who had escaped from a bedroom full of mud and suddenly I didn’t feel so cronky anymore. I am warm, I am dry, and I am safe in my own home tonight. Kinda puts things in perspective, ya know?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was does bring us back. We have it good.