Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Tale of Two Shawls

First up, the promised photos of the blocked Gail/Nightsongs shawl, pattern by Jane Araujo (By the way, I don’t know why it has two names on Ravelry; I prefer Nightsongs).

Knit in a merino-seacell blend from Stash Up Yarns in the “Sea of Cortez” colourway.

It's just the perfect size for a shawl, about 64" x 32".
I couldn’t be happier with the results. This is one of my favourite projects ever.

As predicted, after swatching for the Aeolian shawl there was no way I could bring myself to work on another, older project. Since casting on Tuesday afternoon I’ve been knitting on the new shawl every chance I get. At first I found it a bit fiddly attaching the beads with a crochet hook (the yarn kept splitting as I pulled it through the bead) but I soon got the hang of it. I thought I would be able to do two extra repeats of the first lace pattern but after working them and calculating how much yarn I’d used I realized I wouldn’t have enough after all. That meant ripping back twelve rows of knitting but I’d rather do that at the beginning of a project than winding up short in the end.

I’m really happy with how it’s knitting up so far. Just ten more rows until I get to the elaborate edging section. If I keep going at this rate I’ll have it finished by the time the first Embrace the Lace kit arrives; I received notification today that it shipped on Wednesday. The designer, yarn, and project are all secret. The only thing I know for sure is that it will be inspired by one of the seven heavenly virtues and that this month’s project will be green, one of my favourite colours. I love a good mystery!

No comments: